Thursday, December 10, 2009

Crawling in my skin...

Yes, the title of this blog is a great Linkin Park song. But that's not the subject.

Something's been creeping up at the gym, and it's starting to affect my routine there. Wanted to see if anybody else has dealt with it.

Recently, whenever I'm about to start sweating, I start feeling what feels like thousands of little needle pricks all over my face and neck. It can be anywhere from an itchy uncomfort to a very sharp, intense pain.

But, once I start to actually sweat, it goes away. It's only a couple of minutes, but a couple of minutes feeling like you've belly-flopped into a pit of cacti is a couple minutes too many.

Tried doing some research, but the only thing I could find that sounded like this was miliaria, and since I'm not really looking into a mirror while this is happening, I can't say what the deal is or if that is what's going on.

So has anybody dealt with this condition before?

3 comments:

  1. Possibly. I had/have something that sounds similar, but I'm not sure. I always compared it to a fiber glass itch, and it could make me break out in a hot shower, although it wasn't usually visible. Anytime I got hot, I got itchy. Almost could not work out at all, because when I have it I can't even get to the point of sweating usually. I never really called it painful, but it was a sharp itch and needles doesn't sound too far off. What I had was tinea versicolor and is very treatable, although it can return. At times, dry skin can cause the same type of reaction though. So I'd first start taking as cool of a shower as I can stand, using only Dove soap, and putting lotion wherever it itches (for me it was all upper body). If that doesn't seem to help after a week or so, check into tinea versicolor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chico State "doctors" at the health center just gave me the brilliant advice to stay out of the heat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tinea Versicolor: "Sometimes severe "pin-prick" itching in the affected areas; usually when the person's body temperature is elevated by exercise or a hot/warm environment, but the person hasn't started sweating yet. Once sweating begins the "pin-prick" itching stops."

    ReplyDelete